23 June 2006

Global warming

Lindsay “Majikthise” Beyerstein kicks off her review of An Inconvenient Truth with this little story.
My friend Ryan's dad is a famous polar zoologist. Several years ago, I asked Ryan what his dad thought about “the whole global warming thing.”

“Well, my dad's an optimist about global warming,” Ryan said.

I breathed an inward sigh of relief.

“He's not nearly as dark as a lot of his colleagues.”

I began to hope that the crisis had been exaggerated.

“My dad just thinks that global warming is going to kill off all the indigenous peoples and most of the wildlife in the arctic.”

She goes on to give a detailed review well worth your time.

2 comments:

Indri said...

I just got into this with some Marin ladies I was working for a couple of adys ago... oh, it was frustrating. Anything to protect ourselves from having to change our habits.

I can't really respond at length to this right at the moment, but I wanted to make sure to wish you a very happy birthday, where other people could see that in fact it is your natal anniversary, and shower you with the attention you so dread on this day. Heh heh.

Thomas Hogglestock said...

I wanted to buy the book, but couldn't help think of "reduce, reuse, recycle" and thought maybe I should wait until I can borrow a copy from someone.