09 September 2012

What is democracy?

Democracy is not elections. Democracy is about all of us being in this together. We are forgetting that.

Tom Junod goes to a water park to make the point.

A few days ago, I took my daughter to the big water park in Marietta, Georgia, just outside Atlanta. It's called Whitewater, and I take her there every year, on Labor Day weekend, at the end of summer. I take her there not just for the “rides,” which in most cases aren't really rides at all, but slides that combine water and gravity in varying proportions, and so pack a pretty elemental wallop.

I take her for the lines.

Read the whole thing. Then pay a visit to Andrew Sullivan to see how he has paired his link to this article with a South Park clip with some serious satirical bite.



Charming as the vid from him is in this instance, I have a long follow-up post about how thoroughly terrible Andrew Sullivan is.

No comments: